As a Creative way to build fan recognition, teams are encouraged to design there paint scheme as racing heros of yesterday. Allison, Petty, Earnhardt, Wallace ...ect... Boldly display your major sponsor across the rear quarter panel in similar fashion to the ‘Big Boys’. Participate in the promotion of this division, and lets build it back up, with a team effort.
1. Open to all two door North American made steel bodied passenger cars with 112-108 inch wheel base minimum. No pony or sports cars, Camaros, Firebirds, or Mustangs. Rear wheel drive bodies only. No after market bodies.
2. Car body and overall appearance must retain all stock dimensions. Altered body lines will be significant reason for disqualification. The body may not be lowered on the frame. The body must be mounted in the original factory stock location in relation to the frame. All body components must remain year and model to the rest of the car. Frame must remain stock form front to rear. Rear may be reinforced but must remain stock rail. (May be crossed). Stock dimension windshield pillars must be retained. Windshield pillars and windshield angle must remain stock.
3. All glass, except windshield, must be removed. Glass windshield must have four, 3 inch tabs (2 on top, 2 on the bottom) and two inner center braces. Windshield may be replaced with Poly carbonate / Lexan. Must be full windshield.
4. Doors must be welded or securely fastened front and back. Door skins may be fabricated but must maintain factory body lines. 1 maximum door bar allowed.
5. Body molding, including door handles, must be removed. 4”max spoiler, stock or after market.
6. Interior of car must be completely stripped. Driver must sit in stock position, pedals must be in stock location. Floors must be minimum 18 gauge steel. Floor may be raised for clearance of exhaust. Maximum height no higher than factory hump. No tunneling of cockpit. Interior cockpit must have floor pan beneath it.
7. Trunk floor is to be cut from frame rail to frame rail, back to the spring pockets to accommodate the fuel cell.
8. Front firewall must be original with all holes covered with no less than 20 gauge steel and must remain in original position and location. Rear firewall must be completely closed off from trunk compartment with 18 gauge steel which must be riveted or welded. No metal screws, no aluminum allowed. Rear of hood and windshield cowl area must be sealed off from engine compartment.
9. Frame must be completely stock (steel). No holes. 2 x 3 x .120 wall tube may be used to repair rear clips from center line of rear axle back only.
10. Front inner fender panels may be removed.
11. Stock front and rear bumpers must be in original location. No bracing outside of the bumpers. Must be covered with stock type bumper.
12. Unibody cars allowed. Front and rear frame sections must be tied together with 2” x 3” x .120 wall tubing in a secure manner, stock floor pans of unibody cars must remain intact.
13. After market suspension bushing allowed. No steel or aluminum.
14. One Battery measuring 13.5 volts will be permitted. It must be securely anchored and mounted inside a spill proof container outside the driver’s compartment but not behind rear axle.
1. Stock, unaltered engine and transmission combination must be within chassis as factory item, including all engine accessories except air filters, pulleys, valve covers and oil pan.
2. No 6 cyl. engines allowed. All engines must be standard production pre-1987 heads and blocks and have stock external and internal measurements, except for maximum 0.060 overbore
3. Engine cannot be in excess of 360 cubic inches plus 0.060 overbore. Engine must match make and model of car used. GM: 350 cubic inches up to 0.060 overbore. Ford: 351 cubic inches up to 0.060 overbore. Chrysler: 360 cubic inches up to 0.060 overbore.
4. Unaltered Holley #4412 500CFM (No HP) carburetor must be used, choke plate may be removed. Carburetor must retain stock unaltered choke housing. Choke plate, shaft and screws may be removed. One and three eights (1 3/8) inch venturi size maximum allowed and up to one and eleven sixteenths (1 11/16) inches throttle plate with no adapter plate. Venturi booster cluster must have stock unaltered inserts (No big block or marine boosters allowed). Throttle shaft and butterfly mounting bolts unaltered. OEM carburetor may be drilled for Holley Jets. Steel fuel filters only.
5. Adapter plate and gaskets must not exceed 1” from intake to carburetor and may not be altered to enhance air flow. Air filter must be run at all times.
6. Edelbrock Performer 2101 is the only intake manifold permitted. 2101 must retain internal and external measurements. Intake must be new style. No truck or marine manifolds allowed.
No alterations or modifications to manifolds allowed. No coatings allowed on or in manifold with the exception of paint only on exterior surface. Maximum bore of 1.732.
7. Stock production OEM passenger car cast iron exhaust manifolds allowed. No altering of manifolds, no grinding, no acid dipping, or enlarging allowed. 2 ½ maximum OEM center dump manifolds allowed. 1 5/8 street type headers allowed, without alterations. No header wrap, no step style, aluminum or stainless steel. Must have factory flange for bolt on exhaust.
8. Only stock production OEM crankshafts will be permitted or Scat 9-35034805700 Stock stroke only. No lightening of crankshaft will be permitted. No cutting or trimming of counterweights. Normal balancing only. No external modifications allowed.
9. Stock OEM production rods, crank and block.
10. Stock production OEM cast iron heads only. Heads must have stock internal and external measurements. No porting, polishing, grinding, filling or blending of any kind. No undercutting of valves allowed. Stock valve stem diameter only, max. valve size 1.94 intake and 1.5 exhaust. No center bolt style heads, no bowtie or angle plug heads allowed. Heat riser port may be blocked.
11. Maximum compression ratio is 9.0:1. - Vehicle min. weight 3200
Compression greater than 9.0:1 to max 10.0:1 - Vehicle min. weight 3300
Compression will be checked with the Whistler.
**** 2009 Compression max 9.5:1 all teams
12. Solid magnetic steel forged OEM rods or sportsman rods only. No billet rods. Sportsman rods must have forging mark or identification marks on side of rod beam. Must be true sportsman rod. Call for list of acceptable rods if not certain. Only acceptable length is 5.7 inches.
13. Hydraulic cam shaft only. No roller cams, roller lifters, or solid tappets allowed.
Lifter must remain stock diameter.
14. Radiators must be copper, brass and aluminum stock type. No antifreeze. Water only!!
15. Roller rocker and girdles allowed. Chevy 1.5, Ford 1.6. No shaft rocker arms
16. Mounting of engine – steel or rubber mounts acceptable. Rubber mounted engines must be chained down for safety. Engine must be in stock location with a minimum crank / center height of (15) fifteen inches to the ground. Front spark plugs must be located within 1” of centerline of upper ball joints. No modifications to factory upper A-Frame mount location( see chassis rules)
17. IMPORTANT: No cross breeding or interchanging of engine parts. All components must have been available on a two barrel, small block motor from the factory. No special order components.
18. IGNITION: Only stock OEM ignition allowed. No dual points allowed. Coil must remain in stock location and be stock appearing. Rev limiters permitted.
19. Car must have self starter in working order.
20. An inspection plug is required on the left side of the oil pan. The inspection hole must be a minimum of 1 ¼” I.D. It must be 9 ½ inches from the rear block face to the center line of the inspection hole and 1 ¼ inches from oil pan rail. There will not be any obstruction of view from the inspection hole to the crank and rods. If there is some reason that the tech inspector can not see what we wants to see Oil pan will be removed.
21. No coating of any engine components.
1. Only stock production, 2 speed or 3 speed automatic transmissions are allowed. No high performance of special order transmission is allowed. No modifying of transmission in any manner is allowed. All gears must be in working order. No Vega or similar torque converters allowed.
2. All cars must have stock, unaltered torque converter. Torque converter must be in working order. No Vega or similar small torque converters allowed.
3. Stock OEM unaltered 3 or 4 speed manual transmissions allowed only.
4. Stock weight and diameter steel flywheel and clutch components only. (10 ½” min).
WHEELS AND TIRES
1. Steel wheels must be used and have a maximum width of eight inches. No more than one (1) inch offset difference between any two wheels, side to side, front to back. After market race/safety wheels are permitted and recommended.
2. All wheels must be 15 inches by 8 inches.
3. Right front wheel must be reinforced or race/safety rim.
4. Hoosier 980 is the official series/track tire. Any visiting drivers have one week to abide the tire rule if approved by SST Officials. Minimum durometer 58.
5. Maximum width 76” measured outside to outside of tires.
6. Tires may not be altered in anyway.
SUSPENSION All suspension components must be in original position.
1. All parts must be stock for make and model, no heavy duty or limited production. Racing springs may be used, however, they must be of the same design as the original equipment and must mount in original spring mounting bracket position and location,( min 5”Dia.) Only four springs are allowed per car and must be stock in appearance. Coil springs may be cut.
2. No adjustable shocks. Front may be in stock mounting holes or externally mounted as close to stock location as possible. Rear must be in stock location, and also may be steel rod end style. Lower control arms must be in original position. No steel bushings. No offset, aluminum or bearing type bushings in control arms.
3. Front sway bar must be standard factory production type. In factory location and mount (rubber may be removed or replaced with neoprene type). Stock frame mounting only. No rear sway bar allowed. No Howe bars.
4. A minimum of 6” frame ground clearance will be measured at the frame rail behind the front wheel and in front of the rear wheel.
5. Adjustable spring spacers allowed. Must be safety wired in.
6. Reinforcement of front upper control arms allowed. Tubular front upper arms permitted, must remain stock dimensions. Must use stock mount, non adjustable. Recommended Upper control arms UBM15-0809-5R and UBM15-0829-5L, all additional stock mount, non-offset, OEM replacement length arm will be at the discretion of the SST Officials. Left must be on left and right on right. Call for additional manufacturers legal part#’s
Lower control arms; must be in original OEM position. replacement Neoprene bushing allowed No steel bushings. No offset, aluminum or bearing type bushings in control arms.
7. Jacking bolts allowed in front and rear centerline of stock spring location. Adjuster cups allowed in front suspension.
8. Rear suspension mounting points must be unaltered 4-link. Steel or polyurethane bushings may be used. Trailing arms must be OEM type and may be reinforced.
9. Weights must be securely fastened to the frame. No weights mounted in the driver’s compartment. Weights must be painted white, be lettered with an “SS” and car number. No weight is to be mounted below the frame rails. Weights must be solid bar (min 5 lbs) No steel or lead pellets.
1. Locked rear ends only. May run after market axles. OEM carrier only. No ratchet or after market carriers. Steel Mini-spool may be used. No full spools allowed.
2. Gear rule: SST Requires no Gear Rule, but rules may be required at certain tracks to institute max ratio and maintain RPM Limits
-Spencer 2 Speed tran. gear ratio 3.08, 3 Speed tran. gear ratio 3.73
-Lake Erie open
-Wyoming county open
1. Stock OEM brakes are mandatory on all four wheels and must be in 100% working order. No heavy duty or limited production parts. No adjusting devices in reach of driver.
2. After market dual master cylinders may be used, mounted as close to stock position as possible
3. OEM Cast iron disc brake components may be used.
1. Car must have a complete, full roll cage around the driver that must be welded to the frame. Tubing for roll cages must be 1 ¾ inches outside diameter and must be made of steel. Minimum wall thickness of roll cage tubing is 0.090.
2. There must be at least three horizontal and three vertical bars within the driver’s door. There must be at least two horizontal and two vertical bars within any remaining doors. Gussets are recommended for added strength.
3. All roll bars, side bars or other protrusions that driver may come in contact with must be properly padded with approved roll bar padding.
4. Drivers side door plates are strongly recommended.
SEATS AND SHOULDER HARNESS
1. All seats must be aluminum and have head rests or high back seat. Seat must be attached to roll cage and frame. Back of seat must be mounted to the roll cage.
2. You must use a minimum three inch, quick release 5 point restraint system. A two inch wide crotch strap is mandatory. All safety belts must be no more than five years old, and have readable identification tag.
3. Shoulder harness must be connected to the roll cage. All lap belts must be mounted behind the seat and attached to the roll cage according to manufacturer specifications.
4. All cars must have stock collapsible steering shafts or least two (2) universals. Borgeson collapsible shaft is highly recommended. Quick release steering wheel mandatory. No plastic.
1. All cars must have a fuel cell 22 gallons maximum. Cells must contain foam inserts. Plastic cells are permitted but must be enclosed in a steel container made of a minimum 22 gauge steel
2. Fuel cell must be mounted in the center of trunk. No offset permitted. Bottom of cell must not be lower than the centerline of the rear axle. Fuel cell must be securely fastened.
3. Fuel cell support must be a minimum of 1” dia. 095’ material.
MUFFLERS / EXHAUST (2009 Muffler may be specific and mandatory)
1. All cars must maximum decibel 95 at 100 feet.
2. 2 ½ inch diameter maximum exhaust pipe must exit behind driver compartment.
3. No 2 into 1, ‘H’ or ‘Y’ merger pipes allowed.
1. Radiator must have an overflow can, one (1) gallon minimum. no anti-freeze permitted.
2. No oil coolers are allowed in driver’s compartment.
3. Driver side window net with a quick release mechanism is mandatory. Quick release with plastic parts not permitted.
4. Steel drive shafts only. Drive shafts and universals must be similar to standard production type. Steel 360 degree retainer loops ¼ inch thick by 2 inches wide minimum, must be positioned at the front and rear of shaft, within 12 inches of each U joint.
5. Overall car minimum weigh must be maintained at all times( see engine compression for specifications). The car will be weighed with driver located in seat. No allowance for gas/water after race. Maximum 54% left side weight. Reduction of left side weight and/or overall weight disadvantages may be instituted individually to better equalize the competition.
SST Official decisions & Scales are final
6. No hood scoops or air boxes of any kind. Hoods must be flush to windshield, no openings.
7. Racing fuel may be used, no additives. No oxygen enriched fuel. No additives. Fuel must pass test (s) of Tech inspectors.
8. Boldly labeled fuel and electrical safety shut off switches are to be in reach of driver and safety crew.
9. Mirrors allowed. 28 sq inches max. and will be removed on an individual basis by track officials if used for the wrong reason.
10. Throttle: All linkage must be solid type for safety. Two springs mandatory. Toe strap mandatory.
11. All offset air cleaners must be fastened to keep from spinning and jamming throttle open.
12. One inch square tube side rail allowed. Must be mounted tight to door skin with rounded ends.
OVER COMPETITIVE RACE CARS
The idea behind this division is to keep chassis and engines as stock as possible in order to hold expenses down. While the above rules offer a good outline, every item cannot be covered by a written rule. If you want to run anything not covered in the rules above, ask first! The officials and management reserve the right to adjust rules to make the class more competitive. Teams with different Home track rules may be accessed and penalized with a disadvantage to equal out competition as the division is developed. Be patient and have fun!